Sargent and Company was a manufacturer of locks and hardware, with headquarters in New Haven, Connecticut. Originally established in New York City as a commission business, Sargent and Company relocated to New Britain, Connecticut, several years later under the name J.B. Sargent & Company. Unable to expand at this location, Sargent purchased land in New Haven, Connecticut, and moved the company, one hundred employees and their families on 1 May 1865. By 1887, the plant had expanded to sixteen acres of floor space and employed almost 1,700 employees. Joseph B. Sargent was prominent in New Haven politics and was elected mayor in 1890. In 1892, he was nominated as the Democratic candidate for governor, but was defeated. Upon his death in 1907, his brother, George Stewart Sargent, became president of Sargent and Company. In 1972, Sargent and Company became a division of Walter Kidde & Company of Belleville, New Jersey, a manufacturer of safety, security and protection products.