Jump to navigation
Photograph of the New London, Connecticut, railroad station. Architect Henry Hobson Richardson received the commission for the New London Union Station from the New London Northern Railroad in September 1885. The New London Union Station is considered one of Richardson's best railroad stations. Richardson's biographer, the architecture critic Henry-Russell Hitchcock wrote in The Architecture of H. H. Richardson and His Times, "The New London station, commissioned in September 1885, was hardly even begun before Richardson's death" [April 27, 1886]. The work was completed by his successors, Messrs. Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge. The station completed in 1887.
Although it was used mostly by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad trains the station was owned by the New London Northern and its successor the Central Vermont.
New London (inhabited place)
Richardson, H. H. (Henry Hobson), 1838-1886
Box 2:folder 159
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, CC BY-NC.
Francis D. Donovan Papers